So what exactly is a Social Media News Release a.k.a SMNR? Briansolis.com states that Social Media News Releases are “designed to get the conversation going, providing readers with the ability to disseminate information and multimedia, bookmark and share the content, and in turn, spark threads. They also serve a purpose of providing new media influencers with the information they need, in one package, in order to write a full story, their way – without having to carve out the BS of a traditional release or pitch.”
According to Wikipedia , Social media marketing is a way in which marketers try and create attention-grabbing content that in return allows the reader to share the information with other users using different social media outlets. Basically, its a way to take old-school press releases and convert them into a fun medium that can be appealing to users of social media. This can serve as a huge help in marketing your product or service and gives, on a marleting level, reaches far more of an audience that traditional press releases ever could.
In today’s day of technology, Public Relations resources need to change with the times as well. By adapting to this new online style of press news releases, your company is showing that it is very technologically savvy and knows how to market to future generations.
There are both pros and cons to using Social Media News Releases. Briansolis.com makes very good points about the cons of SMNRs by stating that;
1) SMNRs do not take the place of more traditional Press Releases
2) They arent just for bloggers and journalists
3) SMNRs and NOT about spin.
However, we do know that there are good views of SMNRs too.
1) They are much more visually appealing than traditional press releases which can have a significant impact on retaining the information contained in the document itself.
2) Offers a new advanced medium for news releases to appear on.
3) We can also input additional media into our news releases which will give our audience a better idea of what they are reading about.
I know personally a SMNR with pictures and working links would catch my attention much longer than a boring text-only release. I think many consumers in the market think the same way I do. I think a PR practitioner should consider using a SMNR when his/her target audience uses mainstream technology. You would be able to connect with your audience on a more personal level because you would present them with information that they found aesthetically pleasing and easy to understand.
Two links that help you write Social Media News Releases are
Verizon used a Social Media Release in the following link.
My personal Social Media News Release that I created for the Georgia Southern Equestrian Team can be found here:
As you can see, it does differ from what a regular Press Release would look like.
Some personal tips that could help in your own creation of a Social Media News Release are below.
1. Make sure your contact information is relayed correctly when creating your release.
2. Hyperlink some helpful websites that explain more about the information you are releasing within your SMNR. This way it becomes interactive for your audience.
3. Create good tags that could easily allow someone to navigate to your news release just be using a search engine.
4. Attach any pictures that you think will visually enhance your news release and that might prove helpful to your audience.
5. Proofread over your entire SMNR at least twice to catch any errors it may contain. It is still our duty as Public Relations professionals to make sure that our work is as accurate as possible and also looks neat. This reflects directly on our organization.
*** NOTE: The online sources from which some of my information is retrieved from and is cited is found in the hyperlink words near that particular section of information.